- Food And Fun In The News (Ding Ding TV, 2017 May)
- Gourmet Vietnamese From Acclaimed Chef (ABC 7 News and Hoodline, 2017 Mar)
- CAAMFeast Awards Interview (CAAMFeast, 2017 Mar)
- Asian Chefs Association Chef, Khai Duong and Chefs help feed people in need (Ana Mandara SF, 2010 Jun)
- Upscale Vietnamese prix-fixe multi-course tasting menus offered via two seatings each night. (Gayot, 2017 July)
- Chief Food Critic Josh Sens Picks His 10 Favorite Meals of the Year (Modern Luxury, 2017 July)
- ‘Iron Chef Vietnam’ Star Judge Returns to S.F. with a Knockout Tasting Menu (Modern Luxury, 2017 June)
- Khai Vietnamese Nouveau Reinvents Contemporary Asian Cooking (KQED Food), 2017 May)
- Khai’s Tasting Menu Goes Nine for Nine (SF Weekly, 2017 May)
- Listed in April 2017 as one of 10 Hottest New Restaurants In San Francisco (ZAGAT, 2017 Apr)
- Design District's New 'Khai Vietnamese Nouveau' Offers A High-End Take On Vietnamese Food (Hoodline, 2017 Jan)
- Ana Mandara Chef Resurfaces in SF With New Vietnamese Tasting Menu Restaurant (Eater, 2016 Dec)
- Khai Duong to open high-end Vietnamese restaurant in San Francisco (SFGate - Inside Scoop SF, 2016 Dec)
- Bay Area-based chef Khai Duong is on mission to elevate Vietnamese cooking (The Mercury News, 2016 Aug)
- Chef Khai Duong is on mission to elevate Vietnamese cooking (NewsOK, 2012 Dec)
Around The City
- Khai Successfully Competes in Townsend Restaurant Row San Francisco (Art and Entertain Me, 2017 June)
- Khai Successfully Competes in Townsend Restaurant Row San Francisco (Art and Entertain Me, 2017 Jun)
- A Feast At Khai Vietnamese Nouveau (Foodhoe's Foraging, 2017 May)
- Judge From ‘Iron Chef: Vietnam’ Returns to SF with Vietnamese Tasting Menu Restaurant (Bagels and Burrata, 2017 Apr)
- Khai Restaurant Brings Nouveau Vietnamese to SOMA (Focus:Snap:Eat, 2017 Apr)
- Chef Story with Chef Khai (Yes Llama, 2017 Mar)
- This Weekend: Gourmet Vietnamese... (Hoodline, 2017 Mar)
- CAAMFeast Awards : Stories, Food & You (CAAMFeast, 2017 Mar)
- This Week In SF Food (SFist, 2017 Jan)
Chef Khai Returns Home To San Francisco
Iron Chef Judge Khai Duong introduces his new innovative and exotic cuisine.
World culinary icon, long-time Bay Area chef and head judge of Vietnam’s Iron Chef cooking show, Chef Khai Duong's latest restaurant concept is called Khai located in the heart of San Francisco’s Design District, near some of world’s biggest tech companies. The new restaurant opened its doors on Wednesday, December 28, 2016. The Vietnamese Nouveau restaurant offers a high-end ten course dinner tasting menu of his signature creations at a restaurant with an intimate, cozy setting.
After a successful twelve year-old run with Ana Mandara in Ghiradelli Square, Chef Khai took a well-deserved sabbatical, and went back to his roots in Vietnam and explored the cities and countryside of his homeland to discover new flavors, ingredients and techniques of his culinary heritage. Now back in San Francisco, he is reinvigorated and eager to share his reimagined vision of great food that combines his Vietnamese heritage, classic French training at Le Cordon Bleu, and modern California flavors. His artistry in Vietnamese cuisine is unsurpassed. That’s why he is called “master” by his fellow Vietnamese chefs.
“Creative cuisine is best presented in an intimate dinner party atmosphere. My new restaurant will feel like my home, and you are my guest. This will inspire me to create, and personally prepare, the new creations I have been working on during my stay in Vietnam,” said Chef Khai.
In 2012, Chef Khai won the Gold Medal at the International Beijing Culinary Competition. He competed with 200 other chefs with a simple tomato consommé dish made with birds’ nest. “Chef Khai is bringing a modern approach to Vietnam,” said Martin Yan, popular host of the ‘Yan Can Cook’ cooking show. “He is one of the most creative and most talented Vietnamese chefs alive today. He is a culinary artist.”
The tasting menu offerings will vary according to the quality and availability of the menu components. The Chef always utilizes organic, sustainable and local ingredients, and focuses on health, freshness and flavors. Some of the tasting offerings you might find include Fresh Seaweed Salad, Wild Matsutake Mushroom Pate, Crab Sausage, Smoked Beef Tartare, Crispy Golden Quail, and Pan Seared Rack of Lamb, among others. Although you may recognize these ingredients, the way Chef Khai prepares them is truly unique.